Friday, July 22, 2016

First Breakfast, then Java

   

   
Char Kway Teoh at Resident's Lounge Breakfast. Good not great.
     Always a wide choice in the breakfast buffet: mee, kway teoh, sometimes dim sum, as well as fruit, eggs, breakfast meat, toast and pastries. Best of all: a tossed green salad to keep me honest. The above bowl of dry Char Kway Teoh illustrates the basics of the classic Hawker dish: wide noodles soaking up dark gravy with some vegetables.  Not a four star example, but a place to start.
     Fortified for the day, I'm off to the Malay Heritage Center with a stop at the Lavender MRT for 10ses:

My first Curry Puff in Singapore, with lime juice refresher.

    Then off to the Malay Heritage Center, which I've described here.  The Javanese Community in Singapore was being featured in a temporary exhibit. Of special interest to me was the section on food. Two dishes were of special interest:







 







   
    Nasi Tumpeng takes its place in my work-in-progress,  "Landscape and Cuisine in Singapore" for next July's Oxford Society conference.  It reminds me of the Japanese washoku tradition with its reverence for mountains.  The Singaporean version adds rice cake and noodles to Soto soup.  Can't wait to try some!
   


1 comment:

ame said...

fun to follow you! I dream of Kalamansi lime juice from street vendors... and morning congee with scallions, peanuts and chili sauce! There is a fb group called Where's the best in SG. Its a closed group but if you're interested I could add you... let me know!