Wednesday, November 8, 2017

Dear Molly O'Neill

The Owl (Chouette) of Dijon's Notre Dame Cathedral
     Yesterday, I spent a cold, rainy day walking the streets of Dijon, looking for the houses where food writer MFK Fisher, whom you eulogized for the NYT, lived. In the course of conversations with passersby, I heard of the local tradition to make a wish while placing your left hand on the owl which is carved into the wall of the Cathedral. I found it, and made my one wish.
     I wished for more time for you, and with you. It's a selfish wish. I have only known you for a few years, and in those years I have learned so much from you. About writing, yes, but more than that, about living generously. I want more.
     The owl sees at night, during our darkest hours. My prayer is that your vision carries you through to the dawn of your new day.


1 comment:

The Schoolhouse Committee said...

Deeply felt. It lingers. Love the pic.
Betsy