Tuesday, September 5, 2017

It's not that hard to find MFK Fisher, if you walk.

The Railroad Station at Chexbres, Canton Vaud, Switzerland

     Walking up the hills of Lausanne rewards me when I get to the Mon Repos swimming pool. What if, I thought to myself, I walked up through the vineyards above Saint-Saphorin. We see them from the train along the lake. I had read that M.F.K. Fisher's home below Chexbres Village and Saint-Saphorin no longer existed. Someone wrote a long post about their unsuccessful attempt.
I found a photograph of it, but wasn't at sure of the date. 

     Replicating my father's photographs of the Hudson River taught me a few things about finding the location from which a shot was taken. First, buildings, as rectangles whose lines are converging in the distance, can be captured in a simple sketch. Particular features of the landscape, such as unusual trees, sometimes outlast buildings. And finally, road signs and mile markers, which are maintained by local authorities, will remain.

Le Paquis, date unknown.

I'm on the right track.


Checking the view.

The Canton maintains road signs.



With those clues, on foot, my climb was rewarded. M.F.K. Fisher means little to the Swiss, but I wonder if the owners know that something other than grapes grew here.

Le Paquis, 2017; window treatment remains.

No comments: